Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

5 things an aspiring writer needs to know


I thought it will be great to share with you, dear readers, tips I have learned over the years as a reader and writer.

  1. First and foremost, details are keys to transferring emotions to readers. "Show, don't tell" is one of the basic thing we learn in writing 101, but it is not easily achieved. I've noticed in books I've read that authors tend to focus greatly on details to convey their message and emotion. Read this following passage from In Praise of The Island Women and Other Crimes by Brenda Flanagan: "A few hours later we were in Philip's boat and Flash was rowing us over the waves, two fishing poles at our feet... I stared at the water, my heart crying blood, my thoughts hot... Flash kept trying to smile away the cut-eyes I was sending him... The sea turned from green to blue as Flash row us away from the shore, and when I thought it was blue enough, I dove into it." Notice how the author cleverly described the moment before the character attempted to kill herself with thoughtful details. The author did not have to tell us point-blank the character was in despair. She told us so through the details.  
  2. Reading is a perfect way to overcome a writer's block. I am no psychologist, but reading seems to act as a great engine to get your willpower going. You may notice after reading a book or an article that your thoughts are more easily transformed into words than before. 
  3. Don't be afraid to keep it simple. Sometimes, simplicity is the key to writing a masterpiece. Refer to the passage above. The author uses clean and understandable vocabulary words to vividly portray the character's emotion. 
  4. Read a copy editing textbook from time to time. When Words Collide is geared toward journalists, but it has vital information for every writer. It helps you in writing crisp and neat pieces. There are other good editing textbooks you can find. The point is to always refresh your memory with writing guidelines. 
  5. Exercise. This is one of the best advices I received from Women's Health Magazine. Exercises help stimulate your brain, especially your memory. It keeps your brain active and healthy; therefore, you are able to avoid those times when words escape you and when you experience a writer's block. 

No comments:

Post a Comment