Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Aton, A Work in the Making


Anthony Louis-Jeune, known artistically as Aton, is a 26-year-old artist who has the ability to put his hands on many different projects.
A native of Haiti, Aton has been drawing since primary school.
“When I started, my mother did not want me to draw,” he explained. “She would even tear up my drawings.”
This did not stop Aton from living his dream, neither did being colorblind.
"I feel normal because I never saw colors. I was born this way," he said.
Aton still manages to create colorful, dazzling paintings.
"I have a concept of the colors," he explained. "I concentrate more on the intensity of the colors. I know that yellow is brighter than orange and green is paler sometimes."
He buys tubes of paint and pencils that have the names of the colors written on them to help him. 



"I always knew I wanted to draw," said Aton. 
He was inspired by those artists or those minds per say who created the comic books he owned.
"I wanted to be like them when I get older," he explained.
Aton explored the idea of pursuing drawing as a profession when he sold one of his drawings to a band in Haiti as a logo for 300 USD at just 15 or 16 years of age.
"I was like 'man, I can make money out of it'," he said.
As a result, he began working for a marketing company named Graphcity to create logos. He then created his own company, Aton Concept, and freelanced. 
When asked about what his company offers, Aton listed graphic designs, illustrations and logos.
"[For graphic design, I make] business cards, billboards, shirt designs, [and] anything related to designing...[something]," he added. "I can conceive it and people can do it."
Aton also worked for other Marketing Agencies, such as Image & Marketing and Publi Gestion, and illustrated for big companies, such as Comme Il Faut.
In addition, he illustrated for the famous Haitian writer's, Gary Victor, popular series, Djamina, shown below.



Aton actually comes from an artistic family. 
"We all have some sort of love for doing stuff," he said.
They each embrace a different type of art. For instance, his grandmother is a dressmaker.  "She draws also,"  Aton added.
His mother is also artistic.
"My Mother... is really manual," Aton explained. She sewed the curtains for her house.
None of the members of his family, however, use his/her artistic skills as a profession. 
"I am the only professional artist," Aton explained. 
He does admit that one of his cousin is considering using her skills professionally.
"She's working on it," he said.
 Among Aton's art projects is a poster that he recently designed for a juice company in Haiti.
“[The poster is designed] for them to post anywhere they are selling,”he explained.
Aton is currently attending Altos de Chavon in the Dominican Republic, where he is getting a degree in Fine Arts/Illustration. Here are a few more of Aton's works:


Right-handed Aton drew the self-portrait, shown above, with his left hand. This was his first time using his left hand.
"In school, they teach us how to draw with our left hand and ...our feet," he explained.


 

 



Aton also enjoys to rap, which is a hobby for him. He did a remake of Gregory Isaacs' Night Nurse.


He also recorded his own song called "Get Foktop," which gained him fame on campus. 


Aton would actually like to release an album with 15 songs ranging from Hip Hop to House.


No comments:

Post a Comment